Jim Brown: Why Sales People Need a Process to Profit
Aug 15, 2017
Just because you know your product doesn't mean you can sell it
Stream below or right-click here to download the episode.
Sandler Sales Tips you'll learn in The Sales Podcast...
- Former Marine turned sales trainer
- Grew up poor, so he had to sell to have money for hot dogs with his buddies
- Was a bookie since 7th grade
- Talked his best friend's dad into building a wrestling ring in his backyard
- Got into the college of his dreams, but because they were poor, he joined the Marines
- Took one company to Inc 58 status (from $1 million to $11 million in two years)
- Grew Compendium and sold it to Oracle
- Got too big for his own britches
- Sought out to raise venture capital
- Raised $1 million for a B2C app
- It failed, and it crushed him
- Didn't pay himself for two years
- The companies he interviewed all wanted a "good VP of Sales," but they were dreamers
- They thought they could raise money
- They thought they could bypass the basics of sales training
- He hit up five companies to train them, and all five took him up on it
- 10 years ago, he had a Sandler trainer who gave him a sales process
- He landed his five clients before he had the Sandler franchise
- His sweet spot is technology companies with 2-10 salespeople in technology
- There has been an explosion of software tech companies...but not salespeople
- So they pay a lot of money to recruit these people
- Or they recruit young college kids and try to train them
- Product knowledge does not equal sales ability
- Most companies are under-selling because you're focusing on features vs. the pain of the customer
- Stats show that content is free but only if the prospect knows the right questions to ask
- When prospects meet a professional salesperson, they know it because they ask questions the prospect can't answer
- Give use cases
- Negative Reverse Selling
- Be skeptical
- Talk you out of buying from me
- Buyers will let a professional salesperson lead if you have a process
- Buyers don't know how to buy
- Consumers are always wary of snake oil salesman
- Technology companies all have a big button "Request a Demo"
- Professional salespeople know they must learn something about them to do a proper demo
- Consumers think they want a demo
- How do you treat a competitor?
- What do you say about competitors?
- How do you negate a competitor without talking badly about them?
- Turn on your video and have your prospects see you and you need to see them
- Match their body language
- Watch your tonality, so you don't come across as condescending
- Use your words carefully
- Play the role of the dummy
- Most sales managers believe they were hired to be a trainer, but they don't have time
- Product knowledge
- Deal cycles
- Sales reps are more open with an outside professional sales trainer
- Most sales managers don't believe they need help
- Usually, the CEO of the company hires professional sales trainers
- You need to understand your buyer profile
- Acceptable clients
- Typical clients
- Ideal clients
- Why would you tell each one "no"?
- Tell the prospect that "at the end of this conversation I may have to tell you 'no.' Is that okay?"
- Own why you would tell a prospect "no"
Catch Up on Previous Episodes of The Sales Podcast
Links Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
- Follow Jim Brown on Twitter
- Visit Jim Brown's sales training home on the web
- Listen to Jim Brown's podcast, Sales Tuners
- Get his Sales Tuners Roadmap
Sales Growth Tools Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
- Take The CRM Quiz: get a free consultation with me
- Donate: Just because you like the show, the no-bullshit approach, and don't want to buy a book, software, or The Make Every Sale Program.
- The Sales Agenda: take control of every sales opportunity like a pro.
- Leadferno: Turn lurkers into leads
- Founders Card: Get $20,000 in free processing from Stripe, save 15% on Bose, and save on hotels, travel, car rentals, you name it.
- Send Drunk Emails: ...that get opened and get you paid!
- Phone Burner: work the phone like a machine so you can be a human when you connect.
- Apollo: Find targeted accounts and send cold email at scale to them and hit the inbox with Apollo
- Support The Sales Podcast: https://bit.ly/3JOJ6jC
- Podcast website: https://www.thesaleswhisperer.com/podcast
- Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3PeYzKL
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2nEwCF8
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@TheSalesWhispererWes
- Support on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheWes
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/saleswhisperer
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/saleswhisperer
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thesaleswhisperer/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesaleswhisperer
- Medium: https://medium.com/@saleswhisperer