To Get Great News Coverage You Must Humanize Your Story
Stream below or right click here to download the episode.
Sales Tips you'll learn in The Sales Podcast...
- There's a new trend to getting published by paying Inc, Entrepreneur, etc. but it's the "black market" of PR and media
- Newspapers are cutting corners and cutting staff so their former staff are now guns-for-hire since they know how to get you coverage you can pay them to get published
- This is contributing to the fake news issue
- There is still room for quality stories
- If you can feed a story in every element to a reporter you'll have a greater chance of getting published
- Call the reporter with a story, a client ready to be interviewed, and B-roll
- Know when to pitch
- Look for trends
- Look for "victims" so you can humanize your story
- Give the reporter a "day in the life" story
- This gives you a contact with the reporter
- This is a perceived endorsement when you get covered in the media
- This can happen the same day
- If you're bi-lingual look to UniVision and Telemundo
- Just keep "feeding the beast"
- Compliment reporters when you like their stories with "Feedback" in the headline
- I have a perspective
- I have a local client doing that
- Can we chat for 5 minutes to see how this angle might work for you?
- You don't have to be a "news veteran" to have them bring you into the study
- Take the time to develop a connection
- This is a similar process for radio
- Listen to talk shows
- Be neutral on hot topics if it will hurt your business
- Reporters are still easy to reach because they need hot tips and leads
- Call the main line and ask for the news room or the assigment editor / manager and that you're calling about a news story
- "I was trying to reach Joe Smith, would you mind putting me through to his cell phone?"
- This type of coverage is evergreen
- Ask your media coaches about their success rate. Press Releases and email blasts don't cut it.
- Don't propose on the first date
- Go meet these reporters and put a face to a name
Support The Families of Our Fallen Navy SEALs
The Navy SEALs and their families need your help. Please donate to my Tampa Bay Frogman swim here to benefit the Navy SEAL Foundation.