Three Simple Things: Leading During Chaos, Author, SEAL, Thom Shea
Jan 18, 2023
Why quitting is catastrophic and how to not quit!
Leadership Tips you'll learn today on The Sales Podcast...
- 23 years as a Navy SEAL.
- Author of two books.
- Head of the Navy SEAL sniper school.
- Raise your level of expectation.
- "Spartan Woman" became "Unbreakable."
- 13 valuable life lessons.
- War is "nebulous" for those back home.
- War is clear and scary as hell for the warrior.
Related episodes and posts
- Navy SEAL, Andy Stumpf, rallied back after being shot in combat.
- Pulling Rabbits—and Profits—Out of a Hat.
- War was easier than training for him.
- In 1996 he got his sniper qualification.
- Three skills
- Thinking (mindset is why most fail) (reconnaissance and getting into position secretly).
- Tactics to maneuver in and out undetected.
- SEALs want to get better every day.
- Civilians/average Americans do not.
- It was difficult leaving the military.
- It helps to have a mentor.
- He had three business mentors who helped him.
- They met every Friday for a month for dinner, and he debriefed them on his ideas, and he couldn't make a decision without their approval.
- They say no to everything for that month.
- His message has been "make people better."
- Make hard things simple.
- What can you do right now?
- Quitting is catastrophic.
Don't play half."
- He got a few other SEALs in the room after their community was rocked by some suicides.
- They laid everything on the table.
- His buddies told him to write a book.
- His book is about not quitting.
- For 21 days, keep any promise.
- Say I love you.
- Push to make a sale every day.
- Few people can do it.
- 4,000 people have tried to do his 21-day challenge, and only 82 have made it.
- We allow our excuses to tell us they are true.
- "This is stupid," and "I forgot."
- You can learn anything if you decide not to quit.
- Make selling a lifestyle.
- People do what they are allowed to do.
- Pick up those who have hit rock bottom.
- "Let's quit tomorrow."
- People are always on the verge of not doing well.
- Encourage them to come back the next day.
Your company is a relfection of the leadership."
- You can always keep encouraging someone who comes back to the table.
- If you're playing the numbers game, you think the bottom numbers matter.
- It's more effective to demand more of people.
Demand more of your people."
- You have to reign people in the SEAL teams.
- Great leaders tether their people together and reign them in.
- In business, it's too much about "empowerment."
- Don't encourage the laggards.
- Salary destroys organizations.
- As little as two hours a day are actually done at effective work in an eight-hour day.
- Three levels of communication:
- Listen without judgment, as they matter. Every human must be heard.
- Speak without drama. Be on point.
- Validate what you've heard. Clarify, so you understand. Interrupt people if you don't know what they are saying. Show you are listening.
- Ask for the business. Let's do something that we just discussed.
- OJT is tough for Alpha leaders to implement.
- Patience is needed but rare in leadership.
- Everything is a failure until you succeed.
- Failure is a learning opportunity.
- Leaders listen in the SEAL teams.
- Thom let his teams make the plans so they'd own it.
- Once you speak, you invalidate someone else.
- Surround yourself with experts and lead them. Get them the training to be experts.
- If a platoon doesn't like you in a leadership position, you'll fail.
- In SEAL teams, the mission is less important than the team.
- You can always turn around from a mission you perceive as unwinnable.
- Other than rescue missions, all missions can be done later.
- Nobody yells at you in the SEALs. You're just scared.
Leadership Tools Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
- Take The CRM Quiz: get a free consultation with me
- Donate: Just because you like the show, the no-bullshit approach, and don't want to buy a book, software, or The Make Every Sale Program.
- The Sales Agenda: take control of every sales opportunity like a pro.
- Leadferno: Turn lurkers into leads
- Founders Card: Get $20,000 in free processing from Stripe, save 15% on Bose, save on hotels, travel, car rentals, you name it.
- Send Drunk Emails: ...that get opened and get you paid!
- Phone Burner: work the phone like a machine so you can be a human when you connect.
- Sendspark: Send video emails that make an impact so you can stand out from the noise. Use promo code SALESWHISPERER to get 33% off for 3 months
- Guest Site: https://www.thomshea.com/
- Guest "Three Simple Things" Book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3Wop1oY
- Guest "Unbreakable" Book on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3XwUE0k
- Guest Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/frogmanout/
- Guest LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomshea/
- Support The Sales Podcast: https://bit.ly/3JOJ6jC
- Podcast website: https://www.thesaleswhisperer.com/podcast
- Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3PeYzKL
- Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2nEwCF8
- Vimeo Full Episodes
- Support on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/TheWes
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/saleswhisperer
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/saleswhisperer
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thesaleswhisperer/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thesaleswhisperer
- Medium: https://medium.com/@saleswhisperer