Automate, focus, and grow
Sales Tips you'll learn in The Sales Podcast...
Angela Meharg Went An Inch Wide and 10 Miles Deep To Riches
- Studied music in college
- Was using a Mac when she was 16
- Went to coding camp at 13
- Wanted to work for a software company
- Got a job at Seagate Software and did tech support and they were using Crystal Reports
- Left and became a freelance specialist and has been doing it for 20 years
- Her former boyfriend got her the URL "Crystal Reports Goddess"
- Got bored with her career and when she turned 40 she decided to create a business to get out from behind the computer
- In her business class they asked "how specific can you make your offer?"
- There's riches in niches
- It's hard to be known for something if you're a generalist
- The more focused she gets the more profitable and better known she becomes
- Her first hire was a co-worker from Seagate 20 years ago
- She just knew she needed help
- She wasn't the perfect fit so they actually parted ways amicably after 10 months
- It helped her define what she needed
- Her next two were also from Seagate
- Keith and Peter were both contractors
- She was specific with her needs
- Hiring and training two at the same time was effective
- They were technical with strong customer support skills
- She's a technician in the sense of the "E-Myth"
- Being a control freak means she has high standards but she was her own cap on her financial goals
- It's more leverage and more fun having a team
- They are all remote and never meet their customers
- Use Slack to project manage and communicate, Google Drive for file sharing, and they're looking into project management software like Priority Matrix (per Getting Things Done) and Asana
- Certified Parnter for QCube so they get great referrals or they read her blog posts
- Good rants drive engagement on her posts
- Hired a naming specialist to create "Datisfy: Do what counts"
- Get out and network at industry conferences and speak every chance you get
- Automate. Integrate. Dominate. Invest in automation.
Catch Up on Previous Episodes of The Sales Podcast
Support The Families of Our Fallen Navy SEALs
The Navy SEALs and their families need your help. Please donate to my Tampa Bay Frogman swim to benefit the Navy SEAL Foundation.
Links Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
- Check out Angela Meharg's QuickBooks company Datisfy
- Order and read "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity"
- Order and read "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing: Violate Them at Your Own Risk!"
- Join our private Facebook Group, The Implementors, to continue the conversation
How'd You Like This Episode?
If you need more help growing your sales, check out the following resources scattered around this site and a few others I operate, such as:
- Automate Your Marketing For $9/mo
- Hire The Best Keynote Speaker
- Fix Your Follow Up Failure
- HubSpot vs Infusionsoft
- Ontraport vs Infusionsoft