In 1992 I graduated with a B.S. in Geography from USAFA.
In 1993 I graduated with a B.S. in Meteorology from Texas A&M.
In 2006 I became The Sales Whisperer®.
Your Input Determines Your Output
While still on active duty in the Air Force I was preparing for a career in sales.
I began reading
- Zig Ziglar "Secrets of Closing the Sale",
- Tom Hopkins "How to Master the Art of Selling", (I was thrilled to have him on The Sales Podcast),
- Tony Robbins (Awaken the Giant Within : How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!),
- Brian Tracey (The Psychology of Selling: Increase Your Sales Faster and Easier Than You Ever Thought Possible),
- Jim Rohn (7 Strategies for Wealth & Happiness: Power Ideas from America's Foremost Business Philosopher).
Reading Sets You Apart
According to a study conducted in 2013 by the U.S. Department of Education and the National Institute of Literacy, 32 million U.S. adults cannot read. That’s 14% of the population.
Another 21% of ADULTS read below a 5th grade level.
50% of adults can’t read a book written at an 8th grade level. (That's why you need to keep your writing simple.)
And more are coming because 19% of high school graduates can’t read!
28% of adults didn’t read a book in the last year.
Whatever You Focus On Grows
I began listening to tapes and CDs in the early 90s, long before podcasts and blog posts existed.
I attended conferences where I could hear these people speak and meet them and meet other like-minded doers like myself so I knew I wasn't alone.
I treated—and treat—selling as a profession.
I treat EFFECTIVE inbound marketing as a profession.
As a professional sales trainer, I seek continuous professional sales training and marketing training.
I commiserate with other professional salespeople, entrepreneurs, business owners, and doers.
I read daily.
I implement daily.
I mastermind daily.
I attend conferences and workshops monthly.
Your Attitude Impacts Your Altitude
All of that is done to stay sharp.
To find an edge, a nugget, a pearl, a tip that will help me get 1% better this week and every week.
Some weeks it doesn't happen.
Other weeks I get 5% or even 10% better and it's life-changing.
I've been doing this since 1994, while I was still on active duty in the Air Force and I haven't stopped.
This brings me to the key question of this post:
If you were arrested for being in the profession of sales and marketing, would there be enough evidence to convict you?
If you need more help growing your sales, consider the following resources:
- Sell More This Month
- Find Your Best CRM
- Fix Your Follow Up Failure
- HubSpot vs Infusionsoft
- Ontraport vs Infusionsoft
Or just contact me and we'll set a time to speak.