About Today's Guest on The Sales Podcast
Larry Winget, the Pitbull of Personal Development®, shares his story of turning humiliation into motivation and how you can, too.
Rubber-Meets-The-Road Sales Tip
- Grew up poor and figured out how to get rich.
- He was humiliated at 13 in school because he only had one pair of jeans.
- He had no role models. Didn’t have books.
- Larry Winget knew he could out-work others.
- “Tweaking your website” won’t make you money.
Related Articles and Interviews
- "F-Words" Are Killing Your Sales
- "The Only Sales Guide You'll Ever Need" by Anthony Iannarino
- A Little Mistake That Cost A Salesman All Of His Commission
Tweaking your website won’t make you money"
- You need to sell stuff. You do it by talking to customers and asking them to buy.
- “Well…” is not the answer to “how many did you sell?”
- “How many did you ask to buy?”
- Larry is active on his own Facebook page.
- It takes maybe 30 minutes a day.
- Set your priorities.
- Personal and professional is okay to blend but it’s up to you.
- He throws a lot of personal stuff on his fan page so people know he’s real.
- Don’t make it hard!
- Larry is willing to irritate you to get you to a better place.
- People today “suffer in comfort.”
- There are too many safety nets.
- Real friends kick you in the pants and challenge you.
- All selling is solving a problem. Identify it and make it real.
- “What are the consequences for non-performance?”
- You don’t have to be confrontational but you do have to make them think.
- “Stephen King - On Writing - glad, mad, sad, scared.”
- Emotionally connect.
- You have to take what you do to the world.
- The marketplace respects marketing and salesmanship.
- People over-think their offering. Stop complicating things.
You have to take what you do to the world"
The marketplace respects marketing and salesmanship."
- People lie about money more than anything else.
- Get the money discussion out of the way up front.
- Money is not dirty.
- Look at all of your contacts and call them and ask them “what will it take to earn your business today?”
- “What have I done wrong? You want and need this…I apologize…I'm the sales professional and I have not conveyed to you all of the benefits of owning what I sell."
- On Gatekeepers / Receptionists
- Honor the position of the gatekeeper.
- Validate them.
- Ask them an honest question. “What do I have to do to reach the decision maker?”
- On traditional Sales Trainers
- The problem with most sales trainers is they want you to memorize lines that may never happen.
- Develop a philosophy. You don’t have to get the words right. Just be confident.
- Check out Larry's upcoming conference on speaking and writing, November 6, 7, 8.
- Know what problem you want to solve.
- Narrow your niche.
- Build a following first then publish.
- He self-published 23 books before he got a publisher.
- 97% of all books today sell under 1,000 copies. Most under 300 copies.
- Adult pleasures
- Sam Houston Straight American Whiskey made in Texas
- CAO Brazilias - good, oily dark maduro
- Connect with Larry Winget on Twitter
- Visit Larry on the web.
- Buy his books like Grow a Pair: How to Stop Being a Victim and Take Back Your Life, Your Business, and Your Sanity
- Subscribe to Larry Winget's YouTube channel and get the straight scoop on sales, marketing and success.
Tools To Thrive
Now go sell something.