The FBI made her tough. She'll make you succeed.
Click here to download the episode.
Mental Toughness lessons covered on The Sales Podcast
- Former counterintelligence FBI agent (24 years in espionage and undercover)
- Grew up in Wyoming on a cattle ranch “where fast food is hitting a deer at 60 mph!”
- Founder of the Mental Toughness Center
- Was gritty when the FBI interviewed her
- Fidelity. Bravery. Integrity.
- Worked with the CIA
- Got an advanced degree in spiritual direction
- The FBI taught her to dig down, to peel the layers back
- We’ve had it so easy in our nation and people are not tough
Most good things are hard.”
- Change your mindset to change your behavior to change your outcome
- More of an understanding from the humble leaders that we don’t have all the answers
- Take control of your life instead of just witnessing
- It’s not just bulldozing your way through obstacles
- It’s a curiosity
- Men and women have similar challenges
- We must fight for what we want
- She “ran over them with competence” if they got in her way
- “The FBI was hard on anyone who was weak!”
- Push-ups came difficult to her so he had to work on it
- Don’t try to make the road easy. Prepare them.
- Positive thinking is a cornerstone of mental toughness
- On her first day of class at the FBI Academy
- We need to develop and cultivate five positive thoughts for each negative thought
- Marries neuroscience with social psychology
- Our brain is wired to be negative to keep us safe so it looks for the bad things that can be a threat to our safety
- Good news is like Teflon while bad news is like Velcro
- Positive thinkers are not optimists. They think they will prevail despite their circumstances not changing for the better.
- Optimists think their circumstances will change for the better.
- Life is not always fair
- This has to come from within
- Do the hard work
- We live in a shallow world
- Most of us are living someone else’s values
- Know what your values are
- If something is important to you, you’ll find the grit
- Believe in what you’re doing
- “Follow your passion” is so much about you. Ugh! Look at your purpose to find what you can contribute to the world.
- You’re not your own god.
- Someone besides you matters!
- Her first arrest she was with her training agent and had a SWAT team with a plan to get this guy at a red light
- They hit a series of green lights and they lost the SWAT team!
- Her trainer pulled up next to the bad guy and told LaRae “It has to be you.”
- How do we get to the truth?
- How aligned are you with what you’re selling?
- Meet the people where they are.
- Don’t allow your sales agenda to bubble up to the surface and dominate.
- Be true to who you are
Links Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
- See if you’re mentally tough with LaRae Quy’s Mental Toughness Assessment
- Order LaRae Quy’s book, "SECRETS of a Strong Mind (2nd edition): How to Build Inner Strength to Overcome Life's Obstacles"
- Connect with LaRae Quy on Twitter