Learn how to become a big money speaker
Stream below or right click here to download the episode.
Sales Tips you'll learn in The Sales Podcast...
- Played basketball in Hawaii
- Moved to LA
- Had no idea or plan to speak
- Was making $7/hr working at a video store in L.A.
- He listened to people who said "just follow your passion but it doesn't work unless you get booked
- You need to bring business processes to your passion
- Most speaker associations are a load of crap with advice like "cold call 100 and you'll get 10 interested"
- Did 2-3 talks then 30-40 then he crushed it
- You need to be a great marketer
- The 8-ball of speaking is reaching the people who control the budgets. Nothing else matters.
- Corporate speakers go after training coordinators, casino
- Colleges have budgets (student activities, Greek life, residential coordinator, youth conferences)
- You have the youth market (K-12), colleges, corporate: make your speaking material unique for each of those
- He has one talk that fits three themes with different titles in Corporate
- Success / motivation
- This 3X's his chances of getting booked
- He has five talks for colleges
- Success In College
- College athletes
- This 5X's
- One talk for youth where he's paid as a keynote speaker
- He does more direct mail than anyone
- Event coordinators don't go to Facebook to find a speaker
- No speaker shows up in the mailboxes of these decision makers
- He'll validate their addresses
- He has zero competition because nobody mails
- He'll do 10,000 mail pieces
- 1,000 will be interested
- 100 will retain him for $20,000
- Don't do postcards
- His contacts tell him not to send little postcards
- He sends a 6-page brochure in one big sheet
- Rent the right list and drive them to a landing page where they can see a video of you as a speaker
- Customize the mailout for the market
- They'll call and book him
- Coordinators worry if you can relate to their audience, not that you can speak well
- These are for fee-paid talks
- Slides should enhance your presentation not be your presentation
- Your face and your hands should be your main tools
- Planners will ask for local people to keep fees down
- Destination planners will give them a list of the local providers
- 20,000 conventions per year are held in Vegas
- Sales and Marketing coordinators of hotels—he got to know them and got listed as a preferred vendor (incentivize them)
- 15 years ago he walked into the Portland Convention Center with a bunch of big names like Michael Jordan ($150k) vs James's $5k and he was the only one who got a standing ovation
- To make more package yourself better to be perceived as being worth more
- When you're starting you speak anywhere for any price
- Everyone undervalues themselves
- Ask for what you want
- He started earning $20,000 when he decided to ask for $20,000
Listen To Previous Episodes of The Sales Podcast
Support The Families of Our Fallen Navy SEALs
The Navy SEALs and their families need your help. Please donate to my Tampa Bay Frogman Swim here to benefit the Navy SEAL Foundation.
Links Mentioned In The Sales Podcast
How'd You Like This Episode?
If you need more help growing your sales, check out the following resources scattered around this site and a few others I operate, such as:
- Make Every Sale
- Get ActiveCampaign For Just $9
- Hire The Best Keynote Speaker
- Infusionsoft Review
- HubSpot vs Infusionsoft
- Ontraport vs Infusionsoft
- Make Your Marketing Magnetic: This is where it all began for me. You can attract qualified, eager buyers like clockwork when you master the concepts in this valuable program.
Now go sell something.