Are you done yet?"
"Don't you own a TV?"
"Your husband needs to get a traveling sales job!"
"Don't you know what causes that?"
"Are they all yours?"
"You must be Catholic or Mormon."
"Wait until they're teenagers."
"Don't you know how much college costs?"
"They have surgical procedures that can stop that, you know?"
These are just some of the responses my wife and I heard in the last couple of weeks ago since my wife and I found out we are expecting our 7th child in just over 14 years.
What does it take to turn a society so openly, callously and utterly against children that the first thing most utter when they hear that someone is blessed with a child is a negative comment?
If I met a gentleman at a networking event and he said he had 7 Rolex watches or 7 motorcycles or I met a woman that said she had 7 dogs or 7 laptop computers and I said, "What are you thinking? Are they all yours? Y0u must be Protestant or Jewish!" how do you think I'd be received? (Picture Sarah Palin walking into a Nancy Pelosi rally.)
Marriage is a good thing. Ask Zig Ziglar.
What does this have to do with sales and marketing? On the one hand, not a dang thing. I just felt like venting.
On the other hand, it has everything to do with sales and marketing insofar as:
- Without humans to whom you can market your wares you have no business, so be happy for large families. (Like I told my cousin a couple of years ago, when The Schaeffer 8 show up at your restaurant or place of business, even if we redeem coupons we increase your sales for that day! So much more when it's The Schaeffer 9!)
- When you are interacting with others you must possess "situational awareness," a phrase I learned in the Air Force, which means pull your head out of your iPhone and know what is going on around you! When you blurt out a stupid, repetitive, expected, insensitive remark to someone you just met you have no way of knowing if you are insulting the CEO of the company you've been targeting for years - and you'll now be locked out for another lifetime because you violated Deadly Sin of Selling #3.
Remember the motto of the Jacobs brothers, Life is Good. Celebrate life. Without it how would you make your quota?
If you need more help growing your sales, check out the following resources scattered around this site and a few others I operate, such as:
- Sell More This Month
- Automate Your Monthly Sales For Just $9
- Hire The Best Keynote Speaker
- Fix Your Follow Up Failure
- HubSpot vs Infusionsoft
- Ontraport vs Infusionsoft