About Bob Burg
Bob Burg is a returning guest on The Sales Podcast. You can listen to his first interview, Episode #10 here.
He has just released a new book, Adversaries into Allies: Win People Over Without Manipulation or Coercion, so I had him on to discuss selling, persuasion, influence, manipulation and how to grow your business with honesty and integrity.
- Bob's new book is a “how-to” vs a story, like some of his previous books.
- We all need to master people skills.
- Adversaries may actually be a nice person but if they are standing in the way of a good solution they are an adversary in that situation.
- Sadaharu Oh said the pitcher is not his adversary but his partner in hitting home runs.
Influence vs. Manipulation
- Influence - move someone to a desired action.
- Manipulate or Persuade - they are related.
- The difference between the two begin with intent.
- Dr. Paul W. Sweats - manipulation aims at control…win-lose is the goal. Win at all costs. Persuaders seek to help the other party. “The Art of Talking So That People Will Listen.”
- What is selling and what is it not? It is not convincing someone to buy something they don’t want or need.
- Help people get what they need after you determine their needs.
- Profit is the reward for pleasing another person. - Harry Brown
- It’s all about focus. Money is an echo of value.
- Be empathetic. Understand their feelings.
- The one question you can ask that is pretty much guaranteed to keep a potential misunderstanding from ever actually taking place. “Please clarify / Can you please clarify?"
Politics is almost like religion.
- Self-identify with both. Be sure to not attack the person. (There are a lot of people lurking and watching the conversation to see how you are making your point - logic or insults.) “I can tell that you really do care. Like you, I want to live in a country where we can all…I think out area of disagreement is how to best go about it…” Be nice. Appear to not be so dogmatic.
- Control your emotions. “Who is a mighty person? One who can control their emotions and make an enemy a friend.”
- Understand why your out-of-control emotions are a problem.
- This can even help you get out of a speeding ticket!
- Show respect. Apologize. Be sincere.
- “If possible…could I get off with a warning?” Give him a backdoor.
- The 8 key words “If you can’t do it, I’ll definitely understand.”
Buy Bob Burg's Books
- Endless Referrals, Third Edition
- The Go-Giver, Expanded Edition: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
- The Go-Giver Leader: A Little Story About What Matters Most in Business
- Adversaries into Allies: Master the Art of Ultimate Influence
- Go-Givers Sell More
- The Art of Persuasion: Winning Without Intimidation
- The Last Prospecting Guide You'll Ever Need
- The Memory System
- The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
- Visit Bob Burg's Home On The Web
- Listen to Bob Burg's first interview on The Sales Podcast session #10 here
Now go sell something.